Hey it’s Scott Alan,
We have lost another great. Largely considered the most complete player in hockey history, Gordie Howe passed away this morning at the age of 88.
A contemporary to other legends like Bobby Orr and Bobby Hull, as well as a role model to none other than Wayne Gretzky, Howe holds a number of notable accomplishments in the game of hockey:
- Most NHL regular season games played: 1,767
- Most NHL regular season games played with a single team: 1,687
- Most NHL and WHA regular season games played: 2,186
- Most NHL and WHA regular season and playoff games played: 2,421
- Most NHL seasons played: 26 (tied with Chris Chelios)
- Most NHL and WHA seasons played: 32
- Most NHL regular season goals by a right winger: 801
- Most NHL regular season points by a father/son combo (with son Mark): 2,592
- Most consecutive NHL 20-goal seasons: 22 (1949–1971)
- First player to score over 1000 goals (WHA and NHL, regular season and playoff combined)
- First player to reach 1,500 games played in NHL history.
- Most times leading NHL playoffs in scoring (six times)
- Oldest player to play in NHL: 52 years, 11 days (no other player has played past the age of 48)
- First in Red Wings history in points, goals and games played, second in assists
- Most NHL All Star game appearances: 23
Farewell Mr. Hockey.