JAWS ON THE WATER
|STARRING||Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss|
It’s one of the most talked about events we’ve ever produced: back in 2002, we invited the brave people of Austin to join us for a special screening of JAWS where we would point our giant outdoor Rolling Roadshow screen toward the water, and the audience would all watch while floating on inner tubes. People who were lucky enough to be there speak of it in hushed tones. People who didn’t get a chance to attend sometimes lie and say they were there, because they know how amazing it was. Almost everyone we know mentions it when they tell an out of town friend about the Alamo Drafthouse, “that movie theater that one time made people sit in a lake to watch JAWS…”
And so after years of hearing those stories whispered, we decided it was FINALLY time to bring the event back, and to bring it back in a BIG way! This summer, at long last, we invite you to celebrate the 40th anniversary of JAWS with us the only way we know how – by watching the shark terrorize the good people of Amity Island while floating in your own inner tube.
We spent weeks scouring Central Texas for the perfect venue for this year’s event, and our search concluded when we first walked around the Texas Ski Ranch. In addition to just being an insane place where you can water ski over a manmade lake while getting pulled by a cable so you don’t need a boat, the space is beautiful, with a sandy beach that slopes down into the water, and an island across the way that’s the perfect spot for our screen and sound system. Moving the event to this location allows us to have the best presentation of JAWS for people in water that we’ve ever had, and partnering with the Texas Ski Ranch also means that we’ll have plenty of satellite bars around the location to keep your thirst quenched all night long – including some special floating bars that you can swim up to (if you don’t get eaten first)!
In addition to the great experience of the venue, expect plenty of other special additions, as we’ll have at least 10 sharks* in the water, specials on Dos Equis cans all night long, and plenty of other surprises!
Click the showtime to the right or use this link to go to our Eventbrite ticketing page, where you’ll be able to purchase tickets that include tubes for all patrons. If you have your own floating device you’d like to bring, you’re welcome to do that as well, but all tickets now include tube use or beach access – whatever you’d prefer!
Where is the Texas Ski Ranch?
– It’s about halfway between Austin and San Antonio, just off of I-35 near New Braunfels. Use this link to get a Google Map and find directions from wherever your starting point happens to be.
Will there be food & drinks?
Yes, there is a Wahoo’s location on the property that will serve all manner of fish tacos, non-alcohlic beverages, and we’ll have plenty of satellite bars around the space to grab delicious Dos Equis beers throughout the event. Cash and credit cards accepted.
What can I bring?
– A bathing suit! A towel! And if you have a floatation device you’d like to use, bring that, too! The Texas Ski Ranch is a TABC licensed venue, which means that just like any other bar or restaurant that serves alcohol they can not allow our guests to bring in outside food or drinks, so please leave coolers and lunchboxes at home.
Are storage lockers available to rent on site?
– Unfortunately, there are no storage lockers for any personal belongings. Please only bring what you absolutely need. We recommend leaving any valuables securely locked and out of plain site in your vehicle. You are solely responsible for all your personal items.
NOTICE: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema & Texas Ski Ranch are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged personal items.
Do I need to sign a waiver?
– Yes, everyone who attends must sign a waiver. Please click links below to sign your waiver online:
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
Texas Ski Ranch
I don’t want to swim, but I want to watch people swim and watch the movie! Can I?
– Sure thing! We can’t guarantee that some of the swimmers won’t tease you a little bit, but we totally understand that getting into that water might be a little too scary for some people (or just too damp). Chairs and sand on the beach will be available on a first come, first served basis, and there is plenty of shore space with a great view of the screen for you to enjoy.
What’s the refund policy?
– All sales are final, non-refundable, and non-transferable.
Thank you to our partners who have made these JAWS events possible: