Nirvana and Kiss lead the list of new inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which has announced the 2014 class. The four additional artists selected for the Performer Category are Peter Gabriel, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Linda Ronstadt, and Cat Stevens. Ahmet Ertegun Awards will go to the Beatles‘ late manager Brian Epstein and original Rolling Stones manager/producer Andrew Loog Oldham. The Award for Musical Excellence — formerly known as the Side-Men category — will be presented to the E Street Band.
- Nirvana’s 1991 album Nevermind went on to sell over 14 million copies while drastically changing landscape of rock n’ roll. Bassist Krist Novoselic told us why he thinks Nirvana took off so explosively: “Well, it was a phenomenon. I think a lot of it was timing as what was going on in the music business. And a lot of the Sunset Strip hair bands were past their prime and people were ready for something new. Nirvana always tried to be sincere.”
- When we last caught up with Paul Stanley, we asked which members of Kiss should be inducted into the Hall of Fame should the band finally be voted in: “Well, that’s a really good question. We would — y’know, it obviously would be something to think about if and when it happened. There’ve been a lot of people who have been a part of this — some longer than others, some adding less than others, and some who deserve recognition more than others. So, it would be something to think about.”
- Deep Purple and Yes were among the rock acts who were nominated but did not make this year’s final list.
- The 29th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Thursday, April 10th, 2014 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The 2014 Ceremony will again be open to the public, as it has been for the Induction Ceremonies in Cleveland in 2009 and 2012, and Los Angeles in 2013. This will be the first time that the ceremony will be open to the public in New York City.
- Tickets will go on sale to the public in January. A pre-sale for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members will take place in advance of the public on-sale date. To be eligible for the member pre-sale, you must be an active Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum member by December 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST. Exact sale dates will be announced in January. Details at www.rockhall.com.
- The 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Performer Inductees were chosen by more than 700 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. Artists are eligible for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first recording.
- For this year’s Inductions, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame again offered fans the opportunity to officially participate in the selection process. The public was able to cast votes online for who they believe to be most deserving of induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- The top five artists, as selected by the public, comprised a “fans’ ballot” that was tallied along with the other ballots to choose the 2014 Inductees. Three of the top five artists from the fan ballot will be inducted in 2014.